My books

Keeping track of everything I've read!
Torn - Stephanie Guerra Torn was hard for me to read and review. I think I had such high hopes for this, and it didn't live up to them. Don't get me wrong, I really liked certain parts of this, but after I finished, I wanted more from Stella, more from Ruby, and ultimately, more from the book overall.

Stella Chavez is the girl in school who floats around, from group to group. She's not, to use her words, "top-tier popular," like the cheerleaders, but she's well-liked. Until Ruby Caroline moved to town and chooses Stella randomly to befriend. Ruby is the girl in school who stays on the outside, the one that everyone is fascinated by but afraid to actually talk to her. Although they make an unlikely pair, they become best friends. Torn is the story of their friendship, and how far a best friend has to go in order to protect their other half.

Let me just state that I have a best friend very similar to Ruby, so I totally understand Stella's point-of-view throughout. She wants to help Ruby, but doesn't want to interfere, and she needs to decide where to draw the line between watching her friend being lied to and minding her own business. It's a hard place to be in, and I think Stephanie Guerra really hit the nail on the head with the thought process and emotions from being in that situation.

I think the premise behind Torn was fantastic. I had actually seen this on Goodreads a couple months ago (I think, maybe less) and wanted desperately to read it. It has the makings of a great book dealing with a lot of really important issues in our society right now - drugs and drinking, abusive relationships, bullying, the list goes on and on. And for the most part, Stephanie Guerra really did well with showcasing all of those issues, but not letting them go overboard.

Unfortunately, the ending of the story felt a little too quick for me, and that's what makes me so iffy about Torn. It just felt like the last 10 or so pages were rushed just to reach a conclusion. I would have much rather seen the story unfold at it's own pace, even if it made the book a little longer.