My books

Keeping track of everything I've read!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home - Joss Whedon, Georges Jeanty, Paul Lee, Andy Owens, Dave Stewart, Richard Starkings It should be stated first that I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I've been rewatching the series with my husband since he's never seen it before, and it is still just as good. I've wanted to read Season 8 for some time now, so I'm pretty excited that I finally did.

I'm going to be putting the next part of the review in spoiler alert, just in case you've been living under the same rock my husband has, so it doesn't ruin the TV show for you.

The Long Way Home opens up shortly after the series finale. Sunnydale is gone, there are thousands of Slayers now, Xander is missing an eye, Dawn is a giant, and Willow has disappeared for a little while. Buffy is still doing the Slayer thing, and is training new Slayers along with Giles. There were a couple huge surprises.

1. Buffy and Xander, together? What!? I told my husband and he didn't believe it either. It's an interesting storyline, although I was kind of confused by Xander's head popping off while they were kissing. I mean, I'm entirely sure that it was part of the dream state that Amy was keeping her in, but still. Bah!

2. Speaking of which, Amy! She's back! If you don't remember Amy, she's the girl from the first season whose Mom switched bodies with her so she could relive her glory high school days. Then again in season two, she helps Xander do a love spell on Cordelia that backfires. Pushing forward to The Long Way Home, she's basically insane.

3. Along the same vein of people returning, Warren is still alive!? What!? He was literally flayed alive by Willow. Granted, he's only kept alive by Amy's magic, but really!?

One thing I love about the Buffy show is that it contains a lot of dark material (vampires, demons, etc) but does it all with a sense of humor. I was extremely glad that the humor was continued into the comics.

The art was awesome. The cover alone, they all look like the actors/actresses who portrayed them. They lose a little bit of that in the actual comic, but they are still recognizable. There are also a couple really well-done portraits throughout the book.

In general, this was a really great continuation of the TV show. I'll definitely be continuing on with the rest of this series, not to mention picking up the Spike, Angel & Faith, and Willow comics.